Once again, it’s Friday. Since I am not putting in the effort today to write a longer post on one subject, I am offering up five short items. I hope you enjoy Five Things on Friday.
- Every morning I start the day with a cup of coffee. I drink one cup in my big Snoopy cup. I read a bit, pray a bit, then hit the Tammany Trace for a 45 minute bike ride. This morning, I couldn’t shake off the lethargy, even after the ride, so I decided I needed the big guns. Lucy. I filled her up with a second serving of Dark Roast Community Coffee brewed in my French press. Community Coffee by the way is the only brand of coffee suited for Cajuns. Now I can face the day, thanks to caffeine with attitude.
- Speaking of coffee, the small village of Abita Springs now has a coffee shop. At least it’s sort of a coffee shop. It’s a take out service from a retro trailer. I like the vibe. The only problem is that it rolls away in the afternoon. In the morning, I prefer my coffee home brewed. An afternoon cup to take from here and enjoy in the adjacent park would be nice. C’est la vie. Maybe the hours will expand as my fellow Abitians learn to enjoy the afternoon cup as much as the morning java.
- This morning I set up my new wireless ear buds. I don’t know why I didn’t buy this before. It’s so nice and freeing to listen to podcasts or music via these fancy ear thingies. I look forward to afternoon walks in our cooler air in October with the buds connected to my Apple watch. In the past, I have listened to podcasts when driving. My faves are Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me! and Stuff You Missed in History Class. I need new material to enjoy while walking. Do you have a favorite podcast or playlist that you want to recommend?
- Since we are still in a limbo of sorts in regard to covid restrictions (Louisiana is now in Phase 3, whatever that means), I am limited in social events that are available. Most live music is a no-no, and festivals and fairs, so popular in Louisiana in the fall, largely have been cancelled. Therefore, I must entertain myself at home more than normal. I purchased this big baby from Amazon. It’s a toaster/convection oven/air fryer. Last night, I used the convection setting for sweet potato fries for the first use of the oven. Delish!
- Since we are in a bit of a limbo with social events restricted, I have been enjoying spending my evenings reading. The Abita Springs library is open for drive up service, so I have checked out a few things. Lately I have enjoyed Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea , and Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time. I also borrowed a huge book, an encyclopedia of cooking from my mom’s library. This tome was published in 1947. I have enjoyed reading the old recipes and suggested menus. My favorite section thus far has been the chapter, Brains and Sweetbreads. There are two recipes for scrambled cow’s brains. Doesn’t that sound appetizing?